Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Film Appreciation Societies

Writer's Note: Several weeks ago I sent out a survey of film-related questions to people involved in Louisiana culture, and one of the questions was, What is the value of film appreciation societies? Here, below, are a few answers to that question.


Alexandyr Kent, film reviewer and writer of the Louisiana Movies web log:

I value them, but I think Netflix and subscriber services supplant them. It’s now very easy to obtain classic or obscure films and consume them at my leisure. Attending a classic film – for the Millennials, at least – may no longer be a priority because of the proliferation of exhibition options. The subscriber asks, “If I can get it cheaply on DVD, on my own time, in my own home, why do I need to go to a more expensive film society screening?” I would go because I privilege movie theaters over all forms of exhibition. Is that true for everyone? I can’t answer that.

All I know is that audiences are fracturing and that it becoming harder to foster face-to-face dialogue.


Susie Labry, actress, singer, and film community activist:

I see a strong value in our meetup groups. Not only do these highlights occur, but many members testify that it is because of meetup that they get jobs and some careers. There are months and months worth of work I got because of meetups, which make it much more easier and expedient to get on. It keeps us all on the same page and it is excellent to keep a united front when it comes to legislation and issues facing those in our industry. Louisiana Produces is 1200+ Members strong, and Baton Rouge Meetup is 1100+ strong. We all stay on the same page and communicate and cross and all help one another as one.