Monday, September 8, 2008

Plane Ticket

On Saturday, I took the airtrain in Queens ($5 each way) to JFK airport, thinking I could get a plane ticket from Continental Airlines; and when I got to the Continental booth, I was told that to get a Continental ticket to fly from JFK, from New York to Louisiana, I would have to go to LaGuardia or Newark airport. (What?) Yes...When I followed up by phone with Continental today, the woman kept trying to convince me that, today, I would be ordering a ticket at the last minute: that on Monday, five days before a Saturday (09/13) flight, I was ordering a ticket last minute and would be paying a higher fare. That if I had gotten the ticket this past Saturday, that would not be the case...She quoted a price, one I did not want to pay...I ended up going back online and looking for cheaper fares: and I found JetBlue and went again to JFK (by bus, $2 each way) and bought the JetBlue ticket for less than half the price Continental was charging. Instead of the stopover in Houston that Continental was offering, I will stopover in New Orleans before taking a bus to Lafayette. (There is nothing in Houston I want to see now; but, there are a few things in New Orleans I want to see.) (In addition, someone at the airport, an Austrian tourist, gave me a NY Metro card with multiple fares still on it!) The unfortunate thing is that this is hurricane season in Louisiana, not the best time to plan a trip anywhere there, really...But, I'm glad this part of the planning is done...